Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have used a Bosch Garok 34 electric lawnmower a friend…

I have used a...

I have used a Bosch Garok 34 electric lawnmower a friend loaned me (while she stored her home furniture with me).

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I cut the long grass (20 cm - 30 cm) but some of it was a bit wet. Every now and then it stopped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Afew mins later it started again and did the job nicely.... until the last time (the next day) when I tried, and Bosch Garok 34

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well it doesn't work now. I hear the motor like a vaccum cleaner, but the blades aren't turning. Have i broken her mower?

I think it might be 3 or more years old.
model ? I'll go and look
Bosch Rotak 34
34 cm 1400 w
Cert no. SGSEA/100059
I just need to know whether to buy her a new one (haven't even bought myself one yet), or to get this one repaired, as it was a gift to my friend in the first place. HELP.
if it's too costly to repair, where can I find a new one. I have to leave the house in a min. Will check your reply.
12/27/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

With the battery unplugged, tilt the mower up and see if the blade is tight on the shaft, with the motor running, the blade may be loose and is spinning on the shaft.

I have just found time to attend to your answer - the bolt is so tight I am struggling to loosen it.

OK, is the blade loose, if not it is not the problem! Does the blade turn freely under the deck, not hitting anything?

the blade turns around without hitting anything. I loosed the nutt a little but didn't make a difference so I tightened it back again. The motor sounds like the air vent / vaccum is running, but not connecting with the blade to make them turn. Might something not be connected any more under the cover of the mower? and need reconnection there?

The motor has a gear that changes the ratio before it goes to the blade drive shaft, if this gear is stripped, the motor will run, but blades will not. Blade would turn easily and not have the drag of the motor when you rotate it by hand,??

I have some screwdrivers flat end and the star pointed ones. But none of them seem to be the shape needed to unscrew the cover to the lawnmower. So I can't check what you are saying about the gear that changes before it goes to the shaft.What shape screwdriver do I need? sorry for delay. My husband isn't much of a handy man, and has broken his foot now (useless) so it's up to me to get down to look at the problem.

Probably what is called a torxscrew. Comes in a set of torx drivers.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician