Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have the same issue with my generac 5500 generator (spray…

Customer Question
I have the same...

I have the same issue with my generac 5500 generator (spray carb fluid & engine runs for a couple seconds, then stops). I replaced the carb, spark plug, start switch and still the same issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, I emptied the tank and replace with high octane (93) small amount of fuel to test

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, just that I've already replace everything that every site I've visited said are potential problem areas

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/27/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 7 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

how is the oil level? some of the 5500 generacs have the oil sensor near the oil fill spot

I checked the oil and made sure it was filled.
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Generac 5500 and I can get the serial in a sec

5500 is not a model number. It is a wattage rating.

T56013070053017

I have no idea what that number is. It is way too long to be either a model or a serial number.

Model:(###) ###-####Serial:(###) ###-####

OK..

You have proven that the engine will run if it can get fuel, so we need to figure out why it is not getting fuel.

Remove the fuel line from the carburetor and see if fuel is flowing.

If it is not, look for a pinched or clogged fuel line, or a dirty fuel filter. Don't forget about the screen filter located inside the shut off valve.

I've confirmed a steady flow of fuel through the shut-off valve. I've replaced the fuel filter (now clear and working correctly) and tubing both from the shut-off valve and to the carb. All seems to be working correctly.

If you have good gas flow to the carb, but gas is still not getting through the carb, the carb is bad.

It can't be an engine issue, or the engine wouldn't run when you spray carb cleaner in.

The carb is brand new - just replaced it - and having the same issue as before the carb was replaced. That leads me to believe it's somewhere else. I've also replaced the engine switch wiring (with no change) and the spark plug (no change).

If the engine is starting on carb cleaner, spark is not the issue - fuel is.

If you have fuel getting to the carb, but the engine is still not starting, the carb is not letting fuel through.

It is very possible the old carb was just shot, and the new carb has a sticking float. It is not common, but I do see this from time to time.

I finally got a chance to take the carb apart and the float is fine. Put it back together and same problem.

I'm going to have to opt out of this one.

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

When the engine quits, how long before it will restart? This is Briggs single cylinder engine, and has no electric solenoid in the carburetor?

Go to the engine coil, and remove the kill wire, then crank the engine and see if it continues to run.

The engine dies after just a couple seconds. I'm not an engine guy, but if you can direct me to the kill wire, I'll try to remove it.

Coil is the electrical unit, mounted next to the flywheel, and will have a wire that goes to the on/off switch, the wire can be removed at coil end or the other end.

Is the kill wire the one that goes over the top of the engine and disappears into the cover or the one that looks like it's plugged directly into the engine tunnel?

Yes that should be the kill wire going to the coil.

I disconnected the one going over the top and tried to start it. Didn't start off the bat. Added carb spray and it fired up, but died immediately again (within 2 seconds). Same as every other time.

So it is not spark problem but a lack of fuel to the cylinder through the carburetor, Check the flow from the tank to the carburetor, and if it is a full stream check the needle valve passage for debris and the needle valve and float for opening up enough to let engine run.

Already checked this. The carb is brand new and I took it apart because a prior tech asked me to check the needle valve & float - all good. The filter and tubing is also new and I can see the premium fuel going through the filter.

How long after it quits will it restart? Engine has to lose spark or fuel. You have addressed the fuel issue, I would remove the top engine cover and go to the coil and see if the kill wire is being shorted out, If not time to replace the coil.

It will restart whenever I spray carb cleaner in it, but never any other time. I can start it only once on a spray of carb cleaner, then I have to spray again to get it to start again. Not sure what that does to get it to start, but it works (for 2 seconds).

If you hold a hand over carburetor throat, does it have good suction? If not, check the exhaust for being plugged.

It doesn't run long enough to check suction. Could there be something wrong with the throttle arm? There is a long rod connected to the back of the carb that seems to open another flap, but this is closed. What is supposed to be opening this?

That is the governor rod, it will not move until the engine is running. You have looked at the exhaust and it is not plugged with mich or dirt wasps?

I've looked in the exhaust and it's clear. No clog of any kind

I reread the verbage this AM and see you disconnected one of the wires, go back and disconnect the other wire, that goes into what you called tunnel and see if it does the same.

I reconnected the wires and the same thing happens. I've disconnected and reconnected all wires to ensure there are no missed connections and same thing.
BTW, I really appreciate you sticking with me on this. It's been very frustrating that it will fire, but won't stay on. I thought I was taking good care of it with an enclosed mini-shed just for the generator and regular maintenance.

Can you find the coil, next to the flywheel and remove the wire to it, and see if the engine runs.

Is this something different than we tried on Jan 1? I'll try again if needed- am I looking for something different?

I'm still trying to find out if it is losing spark or fuel. I'm not sure what was done on the 1st. I want to know that the wire on the coil is disconnected, as we are not sure where the wires are going to!

OK, I disconnected it and tried again with the same result.

Started and died. So it has to be a lack of fuel to the cylinder. Has a new carburetor and all new lines, and has fuel to the carburetor. Carburetor bowl full of fuel? No water in the carburetor? If you drain bowl, it has smell of gas and no water?

Where is the carburetor bowl (guessing the bottom section) and can I drain by taking out the bottom screw (on the side)?

Bottom of the carburetor, and yes, bottom screw. Or it could have a drain screw offset to the side of the bowl.

Opened the screw and straight gas came out.

You mentioned throttle linkage, can you attach a picture of the linkage?

Black wire over the top would have to be the kill wire. That would be the one that needs to be disconnected to test for spark. But looking at ht e second picture, I see a fuel shutoff valve, that has a lower section, that s a strainer, It should screw off the shutoff valve and houses a strainer.filter, Check it and see if it could be plugged with debris.

The strainer filter and both hoses on either side have been replaced and are brand new - no blockages. And the new filter is clear, so I can see the fuel in the filter as well.

OK> It was just my thought. Did you try disconnecting the black wire and same result?

I've disconnected the black wired with the same result.

OK, then it has to be the fuel and looks like all the items have been covered. But If it were mine, I would go through each fuel item again, and double check again! There has to be something that has been missed.

I've replaced everything from the on/off fuel toggle through the carb. I don't know where else to check
If I spray the carb cleaner in and open the choke, it starts, but instantly shuts off regardless if I leave the choke open or try to quickly close it. What is it about the carb cleaner that lets it start once but never a second time without a respray?

It burns all the gas, there is no fuel to keep it going. Gas flow is not keeping up with demand. And it will refire on just the carb cleaner.