Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an old 30+ years old snowthrower and the left hand…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an old 30+ years old snowthrower and the left hand lever has stopped functioning. It is continually in drive now.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just started yesterday. Can no longer put it in neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

The engine starts just fine, it is always in drive now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I have not opened up the bottom to see if something broke in the clutch linkage.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Model number? Is it cable operated, If you move the lever at transmission/belt, will it come out of gear?

I will get the model number, but releasing the left handle down does not disengage the drive.

It has to be cable operated, is the cable moving the lever at the belt ?

I’m all set. It was a broken traction spring.

Good Job! Please use the 5-star rating system to close the question.