Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a troy bilt Storm 3090 it started fine a few weeks…

Customer Question
I have a troy...

I have a troy bilt Storm 3090 it started fine a few weeks ago and will not start now. I assumed bad gas in the carb, I pulled it apart there was some bad gas but everything looks fine. The primer seems to puff fine, I could'nt see a spar on the plug so I replaced the plug. Still can't see a spark may just be my bad eye sight

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Fuel in the tank and it will trickle through the carb when i OPEN THE DRAIN IN THE BOWL sorry aboutt he caps

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly I thought I may try a squirt of starter fluid to make sure I am not getting a spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If it is a coil I may take it in

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Engine make and model? Remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel directly into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it will fire for a few seconds. If not, the plug is not firing. You would need to locate the kill wire to the coil, next to the flywheel and remove the kill wire and check again for spark, or see if it will run. No spark with the kill wire remove means the coil is bad and needs to be replaced. The only thing that makes the spark is the coil and the magnet in the flywheel.