Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Briggs & Stratton Poulin snow thrower engine stalled

Customer Question
My Briggs & Stratton...

My Briggs & Stratton Poulin snow thrower engine stalled after I had to tilt the machine sideways on a hillside. Ever since then, it will start fine when fully choked, then putter out in about ten seconds. But if I tilt the machine about 45 degrees backward, it will run indefinitely, though it sputters a bit and must remain fully choked. Tilting forward stalls it quickly, on the other hand.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, there's plenty in the tank, and I bought it this month, so it should be clean. I had been using the same fuel for a half hour when it stalled one the hillside. I don't see a fuel shut-off valve on this Briggs & Stratton 800. Do I have to remove cowling to get to it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I possibly can. Trucking the machine to the nearest serviceperson is not easy.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The engine is pretty new. Probably has run only about 20 hours.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/26/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The carburetor float has a problem. It has stuck or has come loose. It is not controlling the fuel level in the bowl! Can you remove the float bowl on the bottom of the carburetor and check the float and needle valve?