Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I bought a snowblower last January. It was a warm winter and…

Customer Question
I bought a snowblower...

I bought a snowblower last January. It was a warm winter and it was never used. The other day I was able to start it but today it just sputtered. I am wondering if by not emptying the gas last spring if I gummed up the carburetor. What are your suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, and Yes, I did notice the manual stated used 87 octane and we probably have 85

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on how technical it is. I wouldn't disassemble the unit and certainly not the carburetor. What do you suggest

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is an electric start model. It is plugged in and when you press the button it try to turn over but never does. It appears there wet gas spitting out the exhaust

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/24/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

You could remove the spark plug, and put a teaspoon of fuel direct c into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it starts. If it starts and dies, it is the carburetor. The float bowl n the carburetor needs to be removed, and the parts cleaned with a spray carburetor cleaner

.

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem