Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1940s 2 stroke engine and it has a weak spark. It…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 1940s 2 stroke engine and it has a weak spark. It won't rev and sounds like a 4 stroke . what could the problem and it's a magneto ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

The engine is 70 years old and hasn't run like it should since it's restoration a few years back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's on a big 2 man chainsaw with an English Villiers 250cc engine

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/24/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

With it starting and running, I doubt the spark is a problem, but the timing may be. Can the magneto timing be advanced by moving it left or right on its mounting? Is the carburetor getting plenty of fuel? Exhaust is open, not restricted? Does piston have holes in the skirt for the intake, which can be viewed through the intake?

The spark is a line across the electrode not a bright blue spark as normal.
I have Tryed different plugs even changed the carburetor one that has not been touched.
Could it be the high tention lead being the problem.
the timing is done vier two marks on the body and the flywheel together.?????

Is the high tension lead a copper wire? If it is, I doubt it is problem. But If you can change the timing, I would try moving the mark, to get timing advanced a few degrees.

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem