Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere f1145 mower that has me dumbfounded. After…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere f1145 mower that has me dumbfounded. After trying to bleed out the fuel system by cranking the engine over, I turn the key and get nothing. No click no lights nothing and the battery is fully charged. Two 15 amp fuses are fine, any ideas?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/24/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Do you have a voltmeter to test the voltage at the battery and at the starter solenoid? The battery voltage has to be above 12.5 volts, and you should have the same voltage to the starter solenoid, and coming off the positive terminal of the starter solenoid will be the power wire, that goes to the fuses and to the key switch.

I have a voltmeter, and have checked for voltage at the battery, solenoid and key switch. All have 12+v. When I turn the key nothing happens.

No click from fuel solenoid or any indication of voltage to starter solenoid? If you jump the positive battery terminal on the starter solenoid to the single switch terminal on the same solenoid, will starter engage?

No click, nothing. Haven't tried jumping the starter yet. Just don't understand why it would crank over fine, then next turn of the key nothing. Not even instrument lights. Something gave up in the startup circuit somewhere, I just have no idea what.

Do you have voltage past the fuses? You removed the battery cables, cleaned and reinstalled?

No voltage at the fuses. There's one hot going to the circuit board that holds the two main fuses, but no voltage at the fuses themselves. Already replaced that circuit board with another unit and it did not resolve the issue.

With no voltage to the fuses, it is not going to work. Go back and trace the power wire from the positive side of the starter solenoid to the panel. You have lost the connection somewhere between the two.

I'll try that in the morning.

OK> Goodnight

Goodnight.

K>

Got it to power up, just can't get it to crank the engine over. Solenoid clicks, lights are all on, no crank over.

What is battery voltage when you click the solenoid? If it drops below 8 volts, the battery is dead or cable problem.

Just put in a brand new battery, so all good there.

Do you have 12 volts to the solenoid? If you jump the solenoid from the switch terminal to the cable terminal, does the engine spin? Solenoid clicks, so it could be bad, not making the connection to the starter motor.

You lost me there. How do I test the solenoid?

You jump the battery cable terminal on the solenoid, to the single small, switch terminal on the same solenoid, using a wire or screwdriver to make the same connection as the key switch does.

Tried jumping across the solenoid and now I'm back to absolutely no power. Turn key and nothing. I shouldn't have done that, I'm worse off now than I was this morning.

Try tightening the connections on the solenoid!

I don't know what that will do. I tried jumping across the solenoid like you said now I am back to square one. No power at all when the key is turned. I'm not sure what happened but I know I'm now worse off than I was this morning. I have no idea what to do now.

No power at the solenoid tells me there is a problem with the cables or connections, between battery and starter solenoid or negative cable to the frame.

DO you have original cables with the factory ends, r have the cable connections at battery been replaced with the bolt on cable connections, that uses two 1/4 bolts to clamp cable to the terminal?

I had key on power until I jumped the solenoid now I have nothing. Hope I didn't fry the circuit board I just bought. I need to lie down for a bit, I'm very frustrated right now. To be so close and then set back to square one is more than I can handle. Need to rest.

OK>

Ok, key on, all lights and gauges work, still no starter. Is there a way to test the solenoid with a test light or volt meter to see if that's the reason it won't turn over?

If you jump the battery cable to the starter cable, bypassing the solenoid, the starter motor should turn. If it does, the solenoid is bad.

Jumped across the solenoid and the starter started to spin.

But it will not engage if the solenoid is jumped from battery cable terminal to the switch terminal? The solenoid is bad.

Haven't tried to jump from batt terminal to switch terminal. Going to test the switch with a multimeter next to make sure it's not a bad key switch. Not sure if you would know but I checked the key switch terminals with a test light and I got good power to the switch from red wire, then with key on batt got good power to that terminal, then w/ key still on batt I put the test lead to the solenoid terminal and got a dim light. Then turned the key to start and the test light went out. Mean anything to you? Is this normal? Just want to know if the solenoid is actually getting a power signal from key switch. Thank you for your patience.

Look at the switch wire on the starter solenoid, and then match the wire color to the key switch. This is the wire that has to energize the starter solenoid. If it gets no power from key switch, the switch can be bad, or the safety switches, seat, pto, brake, are not completing the negative side of the circuit,

I'll have a look at all the switches next. Have a Merry Christmas, think I'll take a day off.

Merry Christmas to you!

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem?

No, starter still won't engage when I turn the key. Not sure if it's the starter solenoid, or the solenoid simply isn't getting the current from the key switch. Tested the key switch with ohm meter and it seems to be working. But when I turn the key to start with a test light on the solenoid side of the switch, the light goes out. I would think when you turn the key to start the solenoid side of the key switch should light up with 12+v ? Is that correct?

Yes, it should light up!

Can I run a wire directly from the solenoid side of the key switch to the starter solenoid to see if I can get it to turn over? Bypassing all the switches?
Bypassing the safety switches?

Yes, or go direct from battery terminal on the solenoid to the switch wire, same connection the switch should make.

Ok, I'll try that.

OK>

Just to be clear, if I put 12v from battery to the switch wire of the solenoid and nothing happens, it's a bad solenoid correct?

Yes, if solenoid does not close, it is bad. If it closes, the problem may be the starter!

Went out this morning and jumped from the positive post on the starter to the starter switch and it turned over! So that tells me it's either the key switch or the wire that runs from the key switch to the starter switch.

So you have a good battery, cables, and solenoid and starter! So the wire is bad from the key switch to the solenoid, or key switch is not sending the voltage.

I'll try a wire directly from the key switch to the starter next.

OK>