Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Kandi 110CC go kart that hasn't been used in about…

Customer Question
I have a Kandi...

I have a Kandi 110CC go kart that hasn't been used in about 4 years. I changed the battery, spark plug, fuel filter, igntion coil (due to crack in original), checked fuel lines and carburetor and changed oil but engine still can't get the engine to turn over. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

The go kart and engine were purchased new about 5 years ago and was only used for about a year. I know there was a battery issue with the kart years ago, but that was resolved. No other issues that I know of.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was planning to give the kart to a family in need for Christmas and was hoping to get it up and running myself as it was too late for my local shop to service in time for the holiday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I am aware of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/22/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Remove the spark plug, and put a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, reinstall the spark plug and see if it will start for a few seconds. If it starts and dies, the fuel is not going through the carburetor. The carburetor may need a good cleaning.

Tested that and still won't turn over. Spark plug and coil are new though so not sure what the issue would be.

Does it have compression?

I don't have a compression tester so not sure what it would be reading. Guess it makes sense to bring to a repair shop.

You can use a finger with a rag over the spark plug hole, to see if it has enough compression to move your finger.

Looks like it does have enough compression as my finger kept moving.
The spark plug is nice and blue also.

If it has spark, fuel, and compression, the timing key between the flywheel and the crankshaft may be damaged.

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem