Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Cub Cadet Snow Blower with electric start that will…

Customer Question
I have a Cub...

I have a Cub Cadet Snow Blower with electric start that will not start. I am getting no spark at the spark plug level. However, the engine is turning when I press the start button. I have the key in the slot, but I am not getting a spark to start the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

The fuel is clean and fresh and the tank is full. I do not know anything about a shut off valve. Is there one??

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. Most of the people in town are about 10 days out in repairs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The snow blower is new...one year old, only used twice. Everything was good until I tried to start it a few days ago. I thought the spark plug was bad and got a new one...just in case. When I test the spark on the plug, there is nothing. I suspect it has to do with where the key goes in, but I could not take off the choke button as I do not have a tool to remove it and could not remove the front plate. Is there a fuel shut off valve??

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/21/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is the engine make and model? Can you remove the spark plug to check for spark? Do you know where the coil is next to the flywheel? Remove the kill wire from the coil and see if it has spark, or will start?

I checked for a spark and did not get anything. It is a Cub Cadet model 31AM5B7R710

Did you remove the kill wire? If you have no spark with the kill wire removed, the coil is bad.