Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Cub cadet 21" single stage snow thrower. It appears…

Customer Question
I have a Cub...

I have a Cub cadet 21" single stage snow thrower. It appears to be running rich as my eyes burn and clothes stink of exhaust when using it. It starts flawlessly and runs perfect. From what I can see there are no external mixture adjustments on the carb. it of course does not have an air filter and the fuel is clean and fresh. I'm thinking carb float level? But there are no engine performance symptoms to indicate float level?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Obviously yes to both.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No......the burning eyes and smelly clothes are the only symptoms.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/20/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Carburetor will have a choke flap. Is the choke fully opening?

choke opens fully and engine smooths out immediately after shutting choke off with external lever.

No restriction of air into the carburetor? Lack of air gives engine too rich a mixture and causes black smoke and fumes. Only other thing would be the needle valve and float in carburetor letting too much fuel to the engine.

this site is misleading in that it does not state in advance that there is a charge and then proceeds to lead you from the initial $5 into an additional $24. At this time I will terminate the discussion. Please refund the $5 deposit.

Let me send to the moderator. I work from home as a contractor and have nothing to do with billing.

I now have 2 charges against my credit card that I did not authorize. this is credit card fraud. If the charges are not reversed within 15 minutes I am reporting this as fraud to my credit card company.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician