Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My golf cart g22, I think, came with an in dash fuel gauge…

Customer Question
My golf cart g22...

My golf cart g22, I think, came with an in dash fuel gauge and hour meter and has never worked. When I asked my local dealer about fixing it he told me I was wasting my time. Is it fixable? If so what steps should I take?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Bought cart 3 years ago. Has never worked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Winter time. Thought I would try it. Nothing else to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of. All of wiring appears to be on top of tank but have not opened it up to check float in tank. Also have not looked at wiring on back of gauge yet. Cart was about 1 year old when I bought it was not working at time.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/20/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

With a gas cart, the fuel gauge can be checked by grounding out the sending unit wire at the tank, it should show full with wire grounded. If gage moves, the gage is good, the wire is good, and the problem has to be the sending unit. Hour meter has to have battery voltage to it when the engine is running. Is there power to it, usually the hour meter would be powered by oil pressure switch so it would only run when the engine is running.

just ground sending unit to frame or battery

You need to ground the sending unit wire to the negative, on cart, might not be grounded to frame, but back to battery negative.

Thanks will give it a try

OK, thanks!