Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Onan M# 5.5HGJAB-6755K that will run for about…

Customer Question
I have an Onan M#...
I have an Onan M# ***** that will run for about 10-15 minutes then just shut off. It only has about 30 hours and became a problem when we had a tire blow out since the fuel line runs next to the tires in the wheel well. I ran a short fuel line from gen to gas can to bypass fuel line to rear of toyhauler but had same result. Any idea?
Thanks Tony
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What fault code is showing on the genset?
I believe it was 36, I have replaced the fuel pump, confirmed oil/gas level and cleaned the carb so far. Looked around and see no blockage of air in or around unit.
Sorry, I am at work. I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.
Sometimes at work I am able to post a couple replies during breaks.
While the unit is running, is it running smoothly, or is it surging?
When it shuts down, does it just shut down like someone turned it off, or does it start running rough just before it shuts down?
When it shuts down, will it start right back up, or does it have to sit for a while before it will restart?
I’ll go over to the camper in the morning and check those things out.
Ok
Sorry for the delay, been a rough couple of weeks, flu then numinous and then back surgery. When I went and tried the generator it ran for 40 mins and then turned off, went back the other day and it ran for 7 min and would not re-start. The unit ran up and down the entire time and then just shut off. Code is 36

Remove the fuel line from the carburetor, and press the STOP/PRIME button.

Is fuel flowing?

If not, the fuel pump is bad.

If fuel is flowing, you have a bad carburetor.

I have changed out the fuel pump already so you think it has to be the carb? The unit has very little run time on it and we only use non-ethanol gas.
I've even took the carb off and cleaned it out really good.

Surging is a sign that not enough fuel is getting to the engine.

If the pump is putting plenty of gas to the carb, then the carb is bad.

ok I will try that

Ok.

Was this what you wanted to know?