Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a craftsman modeland cleaned the car but my snow

I have a craftsman...

I have a craftsman model###-##-####and cleaned the car but my snow thrower still only runs for a minute or so. It also is blowing oil out the muffler.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Two weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is suppose to snow tonight, and would like to get this taken care of todahy.

12/17/2017
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you may have fuel into the crankcase. This would cause the engine to start and run just a little and then start blowing the fuel/oil mixture out of the crankcase. It would cause the engine to blow fuel/oil out of the exhaust as well as back through the crankcase breather assembly and into the carburetor which would cause the engine to die after running a very short time.

If you do have fuel in the crankcase then the problem would be with the float valve in the carburetor not sealing like it should which would allow for excess fuel to enter the engine while it was shut off and it would then get into the crankcase.

How do I fix this?

First you need to drain the fuel/oil mixture out of the crankcase of the engine and add new oil.

You also need to make certain that the carburetor is no longer leaking additional fuel into the crankcase. If you had carburetor off and thoroughly clean and checked it then you have most likely solve the leaking issue already.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician