Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an old generac SE 10000. I had a capacitor on the gen…

I have an old...

I have an old generac SE 10000. I had a capacitor on the gen head go bad. I have a new one but I need to know if I need to excite it after I replace it or not.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just a week or so

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's it

12/17/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Exciting the field has nothing to do with the capacitor. It has to do with residual magnetism left in the rotor.

Once you install the new cap, the field my be just fine. If it doesn't produce power, then flash the field.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Thank you that's is exactly what I needed to know.

Not a problem.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and have a Merry Christmas!