Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My eu6500 is running as it should after 7 years. I connected…

My eu6500 is running...

My eu6500 is running as it should after 7 years. I connected an 1800 BTUs 240 VAC air conditioner to it and ran it for over an hour without any problems. The same with the 110 VAC. Due to problems getting the original air filter in time before hurricane María hit our island, the air filter literally disintegrated, probably some of the particles got inside the fuel system.
I used a combination of mattress foam cut to size in the filter box and stuffed a second filter, from another type of generator inside the small air box's intake hole. After this in a surge of motor speed the gen stopped with codes E22, E21, E04. I took the small filter out, left the big foam one in the filter box and the gen works OK. Even though the gen works, the codes did not go away. Should we be concerned?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Honda eu6500is A

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

IWell I wonder if i should take it to the Honda dealer

12/17/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

First, the foam from a mattress is much too restrictive - it will not allow enough air to flow, and will result in a rich running condition, which will lead to carbon fouling in short time.

You need to get the proper air filter installed.

The codes can not be reset. They will always be there, so there is nothing to worry about as long as the unit is running like it should.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician