Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

FS481V KAW. Rough meaning it goes high then low then high…

FS481V KAW. Rough meaning it...
FS481V KAW. Rough meaning it goes high then low then high then low at idle and sometimes back fires when I shut the engine off. Timing has not been adjusted in a long time. No filter on gas line. Has good power when RPM's are high. Possible intake gasket issue? Also can I get the valve spacing as well?
Thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

As for the surging, or running high then low, I am going to suggest that you have picked up a little trash or debri in the carburetor jetting that is causing the surge. This can happen especially since you say that you have no fuel filter on the fuel line. I doubt that there is an issue with the intake gaskets, if there were you would be experiencing extremely hard starting issues as well.

The valve clearances are .004 inches on all valves when engine is cold.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

As for timing adjustments, there is no way to adjust the timing on this engine. The only thing that controls the timing is the camshaft to crankshaft location which unless you have taken the engine apart and reassembled it then rarely does this ever change. The only other thing that controls the time is the flywheel key and since the engine is starting and running then I would not suspect either of these too be an issue.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician