Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My murray riding mower will not start acts like a dead

Customer Question
Second opinion] my murray riding...
Second opinion] my murray riding mower will not start acts like a dead battery but have brand new batteryJA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?Customer: yesJA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: yesJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: it seems like it has something to do with throttle I got it to almost start when to give it gas and went back and acted like battery was dead again
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 8 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

are you saying it starts cranking over then stops cranking ??

for some reason when it does turn over then try to choke it it goes back acting like battery is dead

Thank you for the response

Just so I understand it correctly

your seating in the seat, turning the key

it is cranking over but not starting

so you pull the choke and it stops cranking, Correct

No it has to be started by jumping across soliened

Thank you for that

OK, your key is not working so you are doing it this way

jumping solenoid, you need to have weight on the seat for the safety switch, do you have somebody sitting in the seat ??

I know all this what make my mower act like it's doing give me some scenarios please

Hi

You have multi issues 1st I suggest you remove and sand clean all grounds, on frame and battery that may be your cranking issue

the starting issue, remove spark plugs and pour a teaspoonful of gas into cylinder replace plug see if it runs 2-3 seconds

if yes then you have clogged jet in your carb

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5- star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.