Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a gravely tractor with a Kohler Commander 14 pro

Customer Question
I have a gravely...

I have a gravely tractor with a Kohler Commander 14 pro series model ch14s spec. 1810 serial #(###) ###-#### Every time I run it I have to clean motor oil out of where the air filter seats next to the carburetor. It must be coming up from the reed breather but why? The engine does not smoke or use oil. I have replaced the reed breather Kohler part#1240201 and went to 30 oil instead of 10w30 but nothing has helped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

I have a gravley tractor with a kohler commander 14 pro series model ch 14s spec.1810 serial #2408718284. Every time I run it I have to clean oil out of where the air filter seats next to the carburetor. It must be coming up from the reed breather part#1240201 and is blowing down the hose breather but why? I have replacer the reed breather, the engine does not smoke or burn oil. I switched from 10w 30 to 30w. this problem is getting oiling the air filter. Got any answers or fixes?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/15/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 4 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

what is the age of the engine, Please

I am not sure of the engines age, probably 20 yr. But it has always been well maintained & does not smoke or burn oil.

Hi

Thank you for the response

well it was not well maintained it would not last 20 years

good job on your part

2 things that cause that oil in the breather

1st piston rings starting to wear, but you would get a bit of smoking

2nd is worn valve guide and seals, most likely reason

I hope this helps you

Have a Merry Christmas

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5- star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you??

Have a Merry Christmas

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder