Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Ariens 900 2 stage snow blower. Currently the

I have an Ariens...

I have an Ariens 900 2 stage snow blower. Currently the engine continues to pulsate. Can't get the engine to remain at a solid throttle. I have to almost completely choke it to get it to be able to run at near full throttle and blow snow. Is this a full pump or fuel filter issue. What are my courses of action to resolve this problem? Thanks Lew

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

Its about 5-6 years old. It has been serviced I'd say a couple of years ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is something simple yes, if not, I'd take it over to an authorized service dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, not at present. This machine has always run efficiently and does a great job in my experience. I initially thought it might be water in the fuel which sat from last season, but that has since been run out with fresh tank of gas

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Engine Tech
Engine Tech, Engine Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That is a carburetor issue, you will have to take the carburetor out and clean it. Often a jet gets clogged up inside the carb causing that whole. If you are handy remove that and the carb bowl and clean it all out. Then tr it again. ALso make sure any fuel filter is not plugged up as well. Other than that it should work fine again.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Engine Tech
Engine Tech, Engine Technician
Thanks appreciate it!

No problem and have a Merry Christmas!

You have a very Merry Christmas as well and a great prosperous and healthy New Year!