Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I can not find the learn button on the opener, About 30

Customer Question
I can not find...

I can not find the learn button on the opener

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 30 minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The model number on the remote is 953EV/EVC. I see an orange button on the back of the oper, but it is an erase button

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I went through the instructions, but the door won't program

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/12/2017
Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is eddie …….I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

1-) the make and model of the opener. How old it is. And do you have the manual?

2-) the make and model of the remote…..key less or universal….or if this is for car built-in what make of the vehicle?

3-) do you know where the opener (ceiling unit) controls are?

4-) The color of the learn button on the opener is?

5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage. What made it go from working to non-working?

6-) if new when you purchased your transmitter did you check for compatibility?

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

It is a Chamberlain Liftmaster. Made in 1995. The remote is Chamberlain,model 953EV/EVC. The door is a sliding door. There is an orange button on the back on the unit (opener), but it says it is an erase button, I went through the instructions to program, but the unit will not program.
The remote was purchased today. Said compatible with the unit.
I cannot call from the phone I have. I am in Costa Rica and the phone systems here are not very good for calling outside of the country.
I have install 3 Chamberlain units before.
If this will help, it is a liftmaster professional. Are you able to help me with this.
?

I will try.......but you have a VERY old opener .....did you tell them it was 27 years old ? I need the model number off the Liftmaster .......I am trying to check compatibility..............usually with something that old you need a two part remote which includes a receiver .....did you get that?...........because I am looking at the 953 and it doesn't look like it

here is one thing we can try .............when you do program.......you said you had an orange learn button.........try pressing the remote 3 times ........after that press one of the other remote buttons to set the program..............let me know

thanks

eddie

I did all of that. The opener listed that it was manufactured in 2015.
The opener is on a rental apartment on a house in Costa Rica.
If you say the opener is 27 years old, then it is. It says 07/15. It does not have a learn button, The orange button is listed as an erase button.

you said ......It is a Chamberlain Liftmaster. Made in 1995.........figure the orange button as a learn button.......and the only thing I can say is to follow what instruction I sent .......do you have a 2 or 3 button remote to press another button to set?.......and again I need some kind of model number so I have something to go off of .........it should be on the same tag where you found the date

I sent the model number earlier. It is 953EV/EVC. It just listed 07/15. I took that to mean 2015.
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor