Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I am not getting a spark in my plugs. It's a Honeywell 12KW…

Customer Question
I am not getting a...
I am not getting a spark in my plugs. It's a Honeywell 12KW gen. with 600 hours. Which are the possible causes.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/10/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Do you know the engine make and model? With a twin-engine and no park, likely a safety switch, maybe oil pressure, or the kill circuit is shorting out the spark.

It's a Honeywell (Generac) model(###) ###-#### If by "twin engine" you mean two pistons, the answer is yes.
By Generac it's model GH990

Briggs twin engine, built for Generac. Check the oil pressure switch and the switch itself. Either can kill the spark.

I disconnected the oil pressure switch and still didn't get a spark. Does this procedure rules out the oil pressure issue?
By the way, I disconnected both wires. Maybe I had to disconnect only one. If so, which one?

It does not matter, disconnect only one, and test.

Dear Mr. Curtis B.: I went back to the generator and performed three tests on the oil pressure switch. First, disconnected one wire. Second, disconnected the other wire. Third, disconnected both wires. I all three tests I didn't get a spark.
You should know that battery is at 13.3V charge and gas is plentiful. Oil was recently changed and oil level is at its peak. Sparkplugs are company compliant and are new.
So, what would you recommend should be our next "killer" test. The fuel regulator?
Regards, Mario

Fuel solenoid would not kill spark. Do you get any error codes on the panel? Do you have the owners manual showing the wiring diagram, that would show the various items that would affect spark?

No error codes, but red light is on on the main panel until I start cranking the gen; then it turns green.
I have a wiring diagram, but I can't tell which items affect spark.
There is an issue with wire #14, in which the trouble shooting guide of the manual says that it may be "open."
It is easy to follow wire 14 in the schematics; but in practice I just cannot find it.
Regards, Mario

I don't have an answer, so I will opt out, Maybe Hank will respond, as he is the Generac EXPERT

Dear Mr Curtis B., sorry you opt out. All I want from you guys is a step by step test schedule to see where is the fault before I reach the conclusion that the problem is in the ignition coil. Let's find out where wire #14 is failing.
Regards, Mario
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 4 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
The simplest way to know if it is a wiring issue or a coil issue is to unplug the small ground wire that is plugged onto the ignition coil. If the unit has spark then, you will know that the wiring is the problem. If you still have no spark then the ignition coils are the problem.Thank you for choosing to use our services.Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.
I'll have to find where that grounded wire is. In fact, I'll have to find the wire first. Wish me luck.
Regards, Mario
JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician