Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We have a single stage Briggs and Stratton snowblower that…

Customer Question
Second opinion] We have...

Second opinion] We have a single stage Briggs and Stratton snowblower that we bought last year, however we can’t get it started this year. How do you drain the gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes and we just. Put. Fuel. It. But. It. Was. Left. Over. From. Last winter

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

My husband, yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, we just can’t get it started. My husband has gone to get clean fuel. We were thinking of mixing it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/9/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 7 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and serial number from your machine so that I can better assist you?

If you want to drain the fuel you can do one of two things:

1. Remove the float bowl from the bottom of the carburetor and allow all fuel to drain from there.
  2. Remove the fuel line from the carburetor and allow fuel to drain from the tank.

Option 1 is your best solution because you will actually drain the fuel from the carburetor bowl as well and the tank which will normally allow for easier starting once you get fresh/new fuel in the machine.

If you can get access to the throat of the carburetor you could try spraying a little carburetor cleaner or starting fluid into the throat of the carburetor and see if the machine will start with that. If you can get it to start that way it may actually go ahead and run the fuel out that you have in it.

If you need additional assistance with this feel free to continue our conversation here.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

Hi John. Wayne assisted me and the problem has been solved. Thanks

Okay thank you for letting me know that.

We appreciate you using our services.