Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Snow blower primer - hose replaced -bulb is good- pumps air…

Customer Question
Snow blower primer -...

Snow blower primer - hose replaced -bulb is good- pumps air just fine- new bowl gasket - float level checked- new orings in venturi- i have no resistance when trying to prime no fuel action -this is the new non adjust carb--- i also have the same thing on an older maybe 80s model

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Started with just the hose replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

No shut off new fuel line is clear carb bowl is full motor runs fine once started just no primer action

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes i was a mechanic for case ih for years but this one i just feel im missing something simple that i havent found its a neighbors machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The other machine probably 80s has the same problem wont prime basicly the same senerio

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/6/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Engine make and model?

tecumseh 5.5 hp on a yard machine snow blower model LH195SP-spec 67517D-eng family 7TPX1951BF ---non adjustable carb ---with all that i have done there is no primer action not my machine do not know it there was prime action previously - no prime is why it was brought to me, found that hose was worn by flywheel -replaced as in the first texts ---once started motor runs fine

The primer has to pick up fuel from tank or line to the carburetor and push fuel into the intake or float bowl. Parts list does not give an exact location. Where did the line that was worn pickup fuel? Sounds like the pickup line is not in the fuel.

from what ive heard the primer bulb only puts pressure in the bowl and then forces fuel to the venturi --there is no fuel in the primer bulb its on the flywheel housing with an 8'' + hose - so that cant 8be the answer

OK< primer has to be attached to the vent hole on the carburetor, so it can suck fuel into the float bowl. That is the suction side of the primer, the other end is just a vent at flywheel end. Do you have fuel to the carburetor from tank, and is the needle valve and float free to open the passage, so the primer can suck?

engine runs fine once it starts -the primer hose is connected to the top of the carb housing and is just a hole that goes into a chamber that has a welch plug in it - yes it is open to carb bowl and the atmospheric pin hole at the top of the chamber is open.the carb also.the carb is a tecumseh series1 emissions carb 640084B i followed the instructions on outdoodpowerinfo.com web site -we havent hit the answer as of yet

Is the carburetor vacuum tight, so the primer will suck, or is there another open hole?

a new bowl gasket and its tight no leaks - from what ive read it should pressurize the bowl and force the gas up the venturi to prime- not getting that action

Is primer to carburetor pushing air or pulling?

pushing

Have you reversed the hoses, at the primer? I think the primer has to suck at the carburetor.

it only has one hose- that is supose to pressurize the bowl

Wher did the hose go that was next to the flywheel? This is not a two hose primer?

primer bulb is mounted on the housing, hose went behind the housing then to upper part of carb - hose was not routed right and got worn by flywheel

OK> I am going to opt out and see if someone else has one of these they can look at. Sorry. Please do not reply to me, or it will lock the question to me.

Technician: Vince O., Small Engine Technician replied 7 months ago
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician

Hello, is the choke closing completely

hi vince-yes choke is working as it should -eng runs fine once started this is a tecumseh eng on a snow blower as i see this it should pressureize the bowl and force gas through the venturi or idle circuit -i also have a 70s/80s toro blower with the same problem it has an adj carb the only difference, tom

So there's not a dribble of gas that bubbles out of plastic tube when primed and looking inside of carb? I​f you disconnect the primer hose and clamp it while pushing primer with the hole covered do you hear a leak? How difficult is the unit to start with choke on?

no gas action in the carb while pushing the bulb -if i pinch off the hose and push primer i get resistance so it isnt leaking motor starts just with choke but not as easy as it should -again once running it runs fine

I'm out of ideas and not seeing it for myself makes it harder. I am opting out