Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

While installing a new ignition switch module on my JD 345 I…

Customer Question
While installing a new ignition...
While installing a new ignition switch module on my JD 345 I accidentally forgot to disconnect power to the new switch and grounded it against a metal part in the dash. It sparked and had I some smoke. Anyway, now I have no idiot lights, no power in any key position. Checked fuses and they are ok. Where should I start looking for problems ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/6/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The two fuses behind the dash? have you checked for voltage across the tow fuses/ There should be 2 leds in the panel, next to the fuses, are they it with key on? If not you have no power to the circuits, typical fuse or fuse holder not maing connection. See link below.

The 2 LED lights do not light. I have no power going into the circuit. I have checked the fuses on the circuit board and they are good. I have 12v at the starter solenoid but the small purple wire that attaches to the blade connector on the solenoid has nothing. The red wire that goes to the ignition switch\module from the wiring harness has no power either.
The red wire I am referring to is #27 on the diagram you sent me. I think that is the main power source for the entire ignition and interlock circuit.

The red wire should have 12 volts, Is it broken or loose at he solenoid connection?It has to power the module.

It has no power as I said. The question is where does that power come from ? I can trace back that wire to where it exits the harness but I don’t see where a red wire exits the harness or what power source it connects to. Is it fed from the solenoid ? What is the purple wire that connects to the solenoid with a blade connector ?

Red wire should be from the same post of the solenoid, that the positive battery cable attaches to.

Okay. Let me do some checking on this.

OK>

Okay. I think that I have the culprit. There is a red wire going to the positive side of the solenoid (battery cable side) that goes to the time delay module and another wire that is blue but looks like it is connected to a red. It feels all broken when I run my fingers over it. This must be the power source that runs the wire to the ignition and it got hot and needs replaced. Won’t be able to go any further till I get that done right ?

Ok, replace the blue section and see if that gives power to the module.

I see the question is still open, did you fix the problem?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician