Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an onan 4000 generator will not start. Where is the…

Customer Question
I have an onan...

I have an onan 4000 generator will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Where is the shut off

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just bought this Rv yesterday and generator won’t start only has 15 hours it’s an 02

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/3/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Does the generator have its own battery or does it use the battery of the RV? Do you have battery voltage tot he generator switch? Do you have battery voltage to the starter solenoid? Is engine spinning, just not starting on the generator?

the starter is turning the motor over just won’t start like it’s not getting fuel

Have you pulled the spark plug and checked for spark? If it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel directly into the spark plug hole re-install the spark plug and see if it will start for a few secinds. If it does, no fuel is going through the carburetor. Is there fuel to the carburetor from the fuel pumo?

Haven’t checked those things yet I’ll get back to you

OK>

Shouldn’t there be a shut off for the fuel

May be one on the tank outlet line.

Put gas in carburetor started and ran for about three seconds not getting fuel

Check the flow to the carburetor, and if you have fuel to it, the carburetor likely needs t be cleaned, it may b gunked up from old gas and non-use.

No flow to the carb

oK, look back upstream and find the fuel pump, electric, and see if it is working. If fuel pump sounds like it is working, check the line from the tank that it sucks from.

K I’ll give it a shot in the morning

OK> I should be on line after 10 : easter time.

I see the question is still open, please use the 5-star rating system to close the question and get me credit! Thanks.