Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 2001 Club Car DS that will not go forward. I just…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Club Car DS that will not go forward. I just replaced the F/R switch with a new one and it will still not go forward, only reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since yesterday, it just stopped going forward

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is a simple fix yes,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope, since it has a new switch I am not sure what else it can be. Unless there is a fuse that also controls this

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
This is an electric cart.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

This is the cart with the f/r switch behind your knee? Have you swapped the f/r cables on the f/r switch?

the f/r switch is behind my knee, between the driver and passenger. I did not swap the large cable that attach to the f/r switch.

Need to swap forward with reverse cables, and see if you now have forward. If not, then the drive motor needs to be checked.

Ok I swapped the forward and reverse cables. It now goes forward but not in reverse. So what does that mean?

ell, we are making progress, have you double checked the cables coming from the f/r switch? The switch is all that makes the direction change, and the switch is new and working, so seems to have a bad cable.

You only replaced the microswitch, not the large switch assembly?

No I replaced everything, the new large switch came with the microswitch. But the microswitch did not match the one I had. There are 3 microswitches and 2 of the 3 microswitches match only the 3rd microswitch did not match. Could that be the issue?

The three wire switches are dual switches and can be used as normally open, or normally closed. The two wire switches are one or the other. The microswitches don't affect the directional change, only the big switch does that. I think you have a cable problem. Assuming the battery pack is good, and all batteries are charged.

Do you know the part number or the correct name for the cable that I would need?

No, you just have to check the condition of the cables, pull around on them, to see if they are corroded. It would be the cable that was on forward and now goes to reverse.