Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 1996 Yamaha G14 that's been sitting up for a few

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Yamaha G14 that's been sitting up for a few years. I've put on a new carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, and adjusted the valve clearance. It has good compression - 170 #. It runs good until I connect the air filter and then it bogs down. I'm at a loss. What do I need to do next?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just bought the cart about 6 weeks ago and I've been working on it off and on when I have the time.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm trying to. It depends on how deep it gets.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I also put in a new spark plug and new brushes in the generator.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I don't know the make. When I first got it the generator wouldn't turn over. When I checked the brushes they were worn and sticking badly. I figured the generator was original.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

This is single cylinder engine? It is 4 cycle, but check the exhaust for debris, maybe mice have plugged exhaust. Have you checked for good fuel flow to the carburetor from the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
single cylinder. New fuel pump and filter and getting good flow. It won't run if I leave the air filter hose off - it backfires through the carb spitting fuel and flames. But if I hold the hose about 3/4 over the carb it runs good.

What about the exhaust?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Exhaust is fine. I even disconnected the muffler from the engine and same thing - with air filter connected it bogs down. When I take it loose and hold it 3/4 over the carb intake it runs great. Remove the hose completely and starts backfiring.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what do you think? Could it be an intake valve not seating properly?

You have good compression, and the valves have been set, so I doubt that it is a leaking valve. The air cleaner is new. So I wonder if the timing is retarded?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do you mean? Isn't the timing built into the camshaft?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is a '96 Yamaha G14 4-cycle. Is the timing adjustable? How?

Do you have the engine number? The single cylinder? Have you looked at the coil and the flywheel, looking for rust or damage?