Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Trying to determine the regulator part number for my Emerald…

Customer Question
Trying to determine the...

Trying to determine the regulator part number for my Emerald I 4.0 BGE-1R/26109C I need a replacement.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It's a couple years now. Cleaned the carb. It won't run. It turns over. There's fuel available and oil in it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/1/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What regulator are you needing a part number for?

I have an onan emerald 1 4.0 bge-ir/26109c

I understand.

But there are many parts on a genset called a regulator. I need to know what regulator you are asking about.

I believe the part number is(###) ###-#### but I am not certain and can't find it or a new part number defining a replacement.
Hank? Are you with me?
I hope you are not waiting for a phone call.

Sir, you need to be patient. I can only type so fast.

I need to know what "regulator" you are asking about?

What is it's function?

Where is it located on the genset?

Hank, I am being patient. I have only so much information on the generator. I am paying you to give the answer because you are the professional. I do not know any more information. I believe the generator won't start because it is not putting power out, therefore, I believe, I need to actually replace the control assembly. Which I believe is Onan part number(###) ###-#### but I can't find it or a replacement anywhere.

Give me a few minutes to get the current part number.

Thank you.

This is why I have to ask questions.

You were asking for a part number for a regulator, not a controller.

I don't know where you got the part number(###) ###-####from, but the current part number for your control board is(###) ###-####01.

Thank you Hank. Is this an aftermarket component?I had this part number from the 1983 Onan parts drawing that came with the unit. Hence the number. Also, I could not find a cross reference of the new part number.Is this a good place to start, replacing the control module, if it isn't putting power out?

That part number is ***** Onan OEM part. It is not aftermarket.

If the genset is not putting out power, it is doubtful that the control board is the problem.

Would this be the correct part?Onan(###) ###-####01 Aftermarket Generator Control Board Flight Systems 56-2784/2943

That is an aftermarket part.

If the control board is not the problem, then what would it be?
Hank, what causes the generator to not put power out if the controller is not the cause?

I'm not saying the control board is not the cause, I'm just saying it is the least likely cause.

There are many components that will cause the genset to not put out power - brushes, slip rings, transformer, rotor, stator, bridge rectifier - any of them can cause this.

it's not likely, but all these other items can be a cause, where do I start? What's most likely? I have read all I can find on the internet, and the controller has been the initial reason. You say otherwise. Do you know these units specifically?
Hank?
This interlude has taken an hour and a half. What is going on?

I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

I put in a 12 - 1/2 hour shift today, and I just went to eat supper. It is the only hour I get to spend with my wife through the week.

Bad brushes or dirty slip rings are the biggest cause of no power output on this unit.

Sounds like i get more than i want, ask or paid for and wasn't told about what you're telling me now. This isn't my problem.

I don't understand what you are saying.

Please provide more information about the trouble shooting you spoke of. I need to fix my generator. If you aren't willing to provide that, point me to the right party or place that has this information. Thank you.
Hank, I still have questions whete did you go?