Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a one year old 6.5 and s lawnmower. ran perfect till…

Customer Question
I have a one...

I have a one year old 6.5 b and s lawnmower. ran perfect till one week ago. went to start it up the other day and nothing, installed new plug, new filter, checked oil level, and have a good spark. can get it running with starting fluid but dont want to use to much. can the carb go bad that fast?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, replaced with fresh fuel. does not have a shut off valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes can do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All i can think of is the carb

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/29/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

You have spark, and it will run on starting fluid, so no fuel is going through the carburetor. Is there fuel coming from the tank to the inlet of the carburetor? If there is, then it has to be the carburetor, float and needle valve may be stuck, or the main jet is plugged. Main jet is the bowl bolt and the passage it screws into.

ok im ready

scroll up to see my response, I'm a slow typer!

i figured as much ill go through the carb tomorrow, thank you

Thank you!