Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Still working on Generac 0057360. Got a new rotor and

Customer Question
Still working on Generac(###) ###-####...
Still working on Generac(###) ###-#### Got a new rotor and stator. New stator came with the four wires not connected to terminals. They are different colors than what was there. A blac k,blue,read and white. They were white ,gray,red, and white . I determined that black and blue were one circuit, and red and white, the other. I think. Gen parts was absolutely no help. I need to know wher they connect. i.e. r2'r1,l2,l1
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/28/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

The wires should be labeled L1, L2, L3 and L4.

Are they not?

Wires are not labeled, that is the problem.

Then I would use black for L1, blue for L2, white for R1, and red for R2.

Will try that tomorrow, thanks, I'll be in touch.

Ok.

I'm pretty sure this won't work. The white and black are in a superset wrapped harness,as are, the blue and red. These pairs also have continuity, as do the white and gray, and red and white on the old stator. I ran the generator, with all four wires disconnected, and there was not any voltage through any set of wires. I'm still stumped.
Separate wrapped harness, not superset!

You are not doing something right.

Can you take a couple of good pictures and post them here, so I can see what you are doing?

Pictures.

I don't see where your problem is. Just connect the new leads to the terminal block.

I have had them connected, due to the difference in colors , and not being marked, I don't know the correct hookup. Either that or I have to excite it after hooking up. I want to be sure that the wires are hooked correctly, and by testing continuity, I believe your directions are not correct. I am sure the pairs are white and black, and blue and red.

ON the wires leading from the terminal block to the panel, those wires have number collars on them.

How are those wires numbered?

White to r2 is number 33, gray to R1 is number 44, red to L2 is number 11, and white to L1 is number 22

Ok. Your genset is not wired the way the schematic is showing.

Disregard the L1, ,L2 ,R1 and R2. Lets just use 11, 22, 33 and 44.

Of the white and black, white will go to 22, and black to 11.

Of the red and blue, red will go to 44, and blue to 33.

Ok, will try tomorrow, thank you

Ok.

Hooked it up, didn't work. Excited it with drill, still don't work. Maybe have to locate a Generac repair place.

If it still isn't working, here is what you need to do next.

Gain access to the Power Regulator Board (PRB). It is located inside the end cover of the generator, so you will need to remove the cover.
There are 6 wires – 2 go to the brushes (numbers 1 and 4), 2 are the voltage sense wires (numbers 11 and 22), and the other 2 come from the exciter winding (numbers 2 and 6).
Disconnect the brush wires. Pay attention to which wire goes to which brush.
Set your meter to ohms, and place one lead to each brush.
What reading do you get?

Make up 2 jumper wires that will attach to the brushes, with a 5A fuse in one of the jumpers.
Connect the fused jumper to the positive (outer) brush and to the positive terminal of a 12V battery.
Connect the other jumper to the negative (inner) brush, but do not connect it to the battery at this time.
Gain access to the exciter wires.
Start the set, and connect the negative jumper to the negative terminal of the battery.
Set your meter to VAC and measure the AC output at the receptacle of the set. It should be a minimum of 60 volts.
Test the voltage across the 2 exciter wires. There should be a minimum of 60VAC.
How much voltage is there?
Set your meter to VDC and test the voltage at the brush wires that come from the PRB. Make sure you connect the positive lead to the positive wire. You should see at least 10VDC.
Disconnect the jumpers from the battery and shut the set down.

How much voltage is there?
.

Starting testing, no continuity through brushes. Looks like the spring under one brush is collapsed, ordered a new set. Seems like a new stator, and rotor, would have come with new ones, but no. I guess I'll test again when brushes come in a few days, and let you know. Maybe that will cure it. There is continuity through the brush contacts on the rotor.

You won't have any power output if both brushes are not contacting the slip rings.

Did the brushes come in yet?

Finally got the brushes, put them in, and generator worked. The previous hookup that was wrong kinda overheated one of the brush springs, and it did not contact. With the correct wiring,now , it works . Should have never had this problem, if the Gen Sales a-holes had sent a schematic for the different colored wires. Thank you for your efforts.

No problem.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to use the "Star Chart" to rate the quality of my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician