Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Toro AWD self pace mower. Rear wheels don't self propel. New…

Customer Question
Toro AWD self pace...

Toro AWD self pace mower. Rear wheels don't self propel. New cable, new belt. Pully operates the wheels manually. Transmission is not grinding and spins properly when wheels are moved. Everything is adjusted. Cable moves the transmission on it's axis and the belt engages but the pully doesn't operate the wheels. What do I look at now? Local toro dealer does not service or sell parts for non-commercial equipment. big box stores don't service anything they sell.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model number 20353. It's about two years old. Second time the rear wheels didn't work although the last time the belt snapped and I replaced it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have to. No one around here works on these mowers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No: everything seems fine yet it doesn't work. I contacted you before I ordered a new transmission because I'm not sure this is the issue.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/28/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 7 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

how do the wheels look? meaning the gear part of the wheels? If you are removing the wheels and the gears on the axles are moving, the only other thing to be wrong is either the wheel gears inside the wheels or the transmission internals