Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a K 5.540 that stopped running in the midst of

Customer Question
Hi, my name is*****...

Hi, my name is***** have a K 5.540 that stopped running in the midst of working and will not restart.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It has happened before, but this year it seemed to start up initially without a problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am generally handy and worked on cars...a long time ago, but I'm not sure of my skills with this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am persistent. I cycled through the instructions to remove air and checking the GFCI on the plug and tried different outlets and verified there were no problems at that end.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The motor has no reset, other than the GFI plug. Using a voltmeter, do you have voltage past the GFI to the on/off switch?

Problem is not with the cord or the hose outlet.
sorry, that's house power outlet.
I checked directly with Karcher and did all the usual troubleshooting. They want me to take it to a service center.

OK> But checking with a voltmeter would verify if the GFI is bad. No voltage past it would be a bad GFI, and a new plug would fix it.

Put voltmeter on plug first.
It's not the plug or cord...wish it was.
i actually had that problem on my last Karcher...not my first rodeo. Should I just follow Karchers advice and take it to a dealer?

So you have voltage to the on/off switch from the GFI. Does power go out to the motor from the on/off switch?

Checking...

OK>

Washer is in garage, computer is in the house, takes a few minutes to traverse.
There is no problem from switch to motor.

So the motor is bad!

Ok, Thanks! I'll contact service and see if it's worth fixing...or better to just buy a new pressure washer. I'm tired of Karcher, any suggestions on another electric powerwasher?

For an electric, Karcher has the market cornered. I would go with another Karcher. They make most of the other brand! In a gas powered unit, not so much!

Thanks again, goodbye.

Thanks, ***** ***** using the 5 star rating system to close the question.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician