Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Curtis I read the previous answers regarding the 36v golf…

Customer Question
Curtis I read the previous answers...
Curtis
I read the previous answers regarding the 36v golf cart not holding charge. And have used you before. I have a 2008 Yamaha g16 36v golf cart that jad newer batteries Trojan 105s about a year old. And tested them when dead and all come to 6.05+- but two only at 5.74v. Also my charger will no longer cycle on and off. When charging the cart it stays at around 36 V
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Also the 2 batteries that are 5.74V were the 2 that was used for the headlights.
11/26/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

If charger shows no more than 36 volts, it is not working. The output from charger would be around 42 volts! Need to check the charger or the plug where t connects to crat.

Sorry for all the reply’s.. also 36.6 right now with charger on across all 6 batteries

Unplug the charger and read the battery pack, then turn the charger on and see if there is any voltage increase.

The 2 post at the back of the female plug on the charger when plugged in and charger on still only shows 36.6. Is this how to test the charger?

Charger has to be attached to the battery pack to test charger.

You are correct it is the charger it does not change, but how would it charge it very little over a 10 hour or 15 hour period? The cart will not make it more than a mile now.

Batteries recover to some extent, even if they are not charged.

What is the charger model number? It may have a fuse in it that needs to be replaced.

I have had this problem over 2 months now with cart not holding charge. And if I put the charger on it for 10-15 hours it will charge it enough to make it around the block a few times and is powerful at the start but drains quickly.
How would I test the charger?

Fuse is the bullseye, in the front of the charger, it looks good. Cover of charger could be removed, and all the connections checked, but it has a transformer, diodes, a capacitor and a timer card, any one component would keep charger from working. I suspect you would need to take it to a golf cart shop for repair and testing.

Are you confident that it is the charger?
As it did not change from 36.6 volts on or off the cart?
still worries me I can charge the batteries for 15 hours and make it to where I walk my dog each night?

You are not charging the batteries, the charger is putting out no amps!

Ok just traveled 2.5 hours but got a new charger, doing MUCH better but not at 42V only 41.00V across the bank is that okay?
What should the amps be on the charger.. my last charger did not work.

Much better, it should increase as batteries build up. Amps will start out high, depending on how low batteries are and taper off, as the batteries become charged, until charger amps, is near zero.

My charger was bad as I let this one charge only a few hours and cart is how it should be. Each night I only travel about 1 mile with this new charger works well How long should I charge it each night as it is a timed charger?
when the amps are near zero doe that mean the batteries are charged?

Yes. But let charger continue till it shuts off , if it wil.

If there is a timer on the charger will the charger turn off automatically?
Do not want to cook the batteries. Thank you for your help

Yes, it has an internal control card, that when batteries are topped off, should shut off! Older chargers had mechanical timers.

Manual timer! It will shut off when it reaches OFF>

But will it shit off automatically when the batteries are charged even if there is Time still on the charger timer?
Shut off.. lol

No, it will only shut off when it reached OFF> You can vary charge time from 12 hours to 1 hour.

What is your recommendation for menomlu using the cart to travel about 1-1.5 miles a day?
Sorry..How much time should I charge each night with only 1.5 miles a night

Charge it once a week for 12 hours! Does cart have a battery gage? Do not charge every day, unless you run batteries down below 50 %

It does not but can buy one.

OK>