Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Trying to start my on an 5500. It true to start, but then…

Customer Question
Hello. Trying to...

Hello. Trying to start my on an 5500. It true to start, but then stops, shows 3 blinking lights. I have done the rest, but it doesn't flash after that. But when I try to restart it, it stops and starts flashing 3 times again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes ma'am. Brand new fuel. Where would the shut off be at ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes ma'am.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not off hand. But I did change the fuel filter. I was told to try this first

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/26/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 6 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Code 3 is merely a service indicator that means a secondary code has been set.

I need to know that secondary code.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.