Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1999 Polaris Ranger 6X6. It will not start. It has…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 Polaris Ranger 6X6. It will not start. It has a new spark plug and plenty of spark. When I disconnected the fuel pump line from the carb no fuel came out while cranking. I tested the voltage to the fuel pump and it is only getting 9.75 volts. When connected to a 12 battery the fuel pump pumps just fine. I checked the LR 58 Module and got voltage from the pink wire. I have also tried a new fuel pump with the same results. I am guessing the low voltage to the fuel pump is the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, again when the fuel pump is disconnected from the carb and the engine turned over no fuel comes to the carb

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, nobody open today or all weekend

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I am about to check the actual voltage coming from the LR 58 module and going in.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
11/26/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

I see the question is still open, did you find low voltage at the relay? The ECU seems to control the fuel pump on other Rangers. An alternative to replacing the ECU, would be to add a pulse fuel pump, where the fuel pump is powered by the pulses of the piston in the crankcase. You could use a tapped hole in the rocker cover to power the pump.

This question was not answered and this guy does not know anything about this model of Ranger. No ECU on this model. Adding a total different fuel delivery system??? Unsatisfied with this answer. Please do not charge me anything.

Take it to the dealer, I own a Ranger and if I wasn't getting full voltage to the fuel pump, I would power it off the keyswitch, But a pulse pump is a good alternative. Have a nice day. I will opt out.