Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a John Deere x300 for 3 years now. I am having a

Customer Question
Good morning. I...

Good morning. I have a John Deere x300 for 3 years now. I am having a reoccuring issue. Not every time but reoccuring none the less. At time, the (both) carbs are not getting gas. The engine will crank forever. Throttle up and chocke on. Sometimes it starts right up and others it just cranks. My only accessment has been no fule reaching carbs. If I pull the fuel line from the fron carb and draw fuel up; reconnect and then fires. Sometime it occurs with low fuel or tank running empty and other times the fuel level does not matter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

New fuel. Not a new problem. Have been going on. No shut off valve that I know of or have ever adjusted.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes dependant on what it is

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is pretty much it. Almost like no fuel is pumping but I do not think these lawn tractors have a fuel pump

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/24/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

X300 does have a fuel pump, A pulse pump, that uses the crankcase pulse, to pump fuel. But look at the fuel tank, Deere uses three different tanks, and on one, the fuel pickup is thrugh the top of tank, with a suction tube. The fuel system up to the fuel pump, has to be vacuum tight, or will not suck fuel. Fuel pickup can be restricted, or the hoses before teh fuel pump can be leaking vacuum. See fuel pump in link below.