Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a John Deere 115 riding mower. The battery is fully…

I have a John...

I have a John Deere 115 riding mower. The battery is fully charged. The lights come on. When I turn the key nothing happens. Nothing, no click no nothing. It has run great all year, just used it 6 days ago. I take care of this mower, I change the oil, filters, spark plug. Belts and blades were just replaced. Battery connections are good. I just need to know what steps I need to do in order to see what the issue is so I can get back to mulching my leaves.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

11/24/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Try jumping the solenoid. Follow the red wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. try jumping the solenoid by placing a screw driver on both poles together and see if machine will turn over. Make sure to engage parking brake and have key turned on. If it turns over, the solenoid is bad

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Followed the red wire, but there is only one connector for the red wire.

what brand engine is on this mower?

19.5 HP, BRIGGS & STRATON

from the battery, the red wire should run to a solenoid. it should connect to the solenoid, and then there should be a second post, with a separate red wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter. I will try to upload a pic real quick.

ok So you want me to place a screwdriver touching the to ends together, from the solenod to the starterjust to be clear, not even knowing how to describe this, but the is the solenoid the big round thing on the engine, or is it the thing where multiple wires connect right from the battery
the starter is the big round thing on the mower

yes, it should have a red wire running to it from the starter solenoid

yep, that makes way more sense, ok I will try that. Crossing the fingers

here is a video of a LA125, same concept though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=Q6Wogm_VQDs

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
once I get this thing started and figure out what is wrong with your help. I will be so happy
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician