JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My Briggs and Stratton crank won't pull. Just today. But my

Customer Question

My Briggs and Stratton crank won't pull
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just today. But my gf said this morning it made a loud noise before it shut off
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Haven't had any prior problems and just changed the oil today. Didn't know about the noise though
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 12 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

From your description of the issue it sounds like the engine may be locked up or seized.

Can you describe a little more about the noise that was made? Was the noise before you changed the oil or afterward?

Have you tried to remove the pull start assembly and grip the flywheel and turn the engine?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I haven't tried anything yet. I did not know about the sound til I was going to crank it. My gf said it sounded like a backfire

The noise or sound is what scares me. If he was running it and it made this noise and shut off then there is a very good chance that the engine is locked up and you will not be able to turn it over. Sometimes if you remove the pull start assembly and can work the flywheel backwards and forwards you can eventually get the engine free so that it will crank over again with the pull start however is still may not start and run.

I am afraid that this engine may not be usable any longer without some major repairs.

I would first start by removing the pull start assembly and try to turn the engine over by using the flywheel, you can get more and better leverage on it this way than what you can by using the pull start.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

If you need additional assistance with this issue you can continue our conversation here.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.