Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 1982? yamaha YTM225DXK three wheel atv. Starter

won't crank. If I jump...
I have a 1982? yamaha YTM225DXK three wheel atv. Starter won't crank. If I jump a wire from battery to starter it cranks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Only gets used sporatically. This happened last time it was used.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: There is a square relay next to the voltage regulator which is next to the solenoid. The square relay clicks when you push the starter button. I would like to fix myself if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just wondering if it is bad solenoid which I could replace? I checked fuse in starter wires and it is good.
11/22/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

sounds like the starter solenoid is bad and needs replaced. can you jump the solenoid and start it?

I would say replace the starter solenoid to fix this issue

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Try jumping a wire across the two posts on the solenoid and see if it works?

yes, you should have a wire running from the battery to one side of the solenoid, and then another wire running from the other side of the solenoid to the starter. use a screwdriver or wire to touch the 2 sides together, sending power to the starter. it should turn over. you stated previously that you ran a wire from battery to the starter and it started, so this tells me the solenoid is not working properly and needs to be replaced

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
That worked. I put a wrench across the 2 posts and it cranked over. Even with the key turned off. Is that right? If so, I will order a new solenoid.

yes. if you turn key on, it should start, but if you can jump the solenoid, it is bad and needs replaced

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
OK. Thanks a lot. 5 star rating for sure.
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician