Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a kolher 5e generator I have it running well. When I…

I have a kolher 5e...
I have a kolher 5e generator I have it running well. When I put a load on it after a while of running the rpm drops and the governor dose not recover so it surges a bit. Until I shut it down
Kohler Marine gen
Fuel pump, both coils, carb, choke assembly, flywheel and pickups All replaced
It seams to run good and steady with no load on it ??????
If you have a email I can send a video of what it is doing
11/22/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

This being a twin engine, have you ran a cylinder test? Loosen the spark plug wires and with engine running, remove one wire at a time, to see if both cylinders are equal. If engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. If that is the case, check compression and check the valves, and check for park, even though as you have already replaced the coil.

Compression is good bothe above 150 psi
I have adjusted the valves

Did you run the cylinder test? If cylinders are ok, then you have a fuel starvation problem, and the surge is being caused by a lack of fuel, and the governor trying to compensate.

Is there any kind of measurement for a fuel delivery it takes a while for it to act up and I have replaced the electric fuel pump already

You would have to measure fuel when it is acting up, Or make a test line and run it direct from your fuel pump, into a separate fuel tank. Bypassing the existing fuel tank and hoses up to the electric pump.

Ok I can do t is there a measurement of amount of fuel I would be looking for?

1/4 cup in 15 seconds.

OK that does not sound like it takes very much

No, it does not require a lot.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician