Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Craftsman Lawn tractor, 21 hp &S engine (model

Craftsman Lawn tractor, 21 hp...

Craftsman Lawn tractor, 21 hp B&S engine (model *****-0010G1-***ZD) was running fine, then just stopped dead. Can not restart. Turns over (saw starter gear spin-up, engage flywheel). Spark tester lights. Float bowl was not gummed or dirty. Float’s needle valve looks clean, smooth, not mis-shapen. Float and needle valve move freely. Clear fuel filter has gas. Gas (gravity feed) flows to carb freely-disconnected hose at carb and fuel flows out of hose. 12.45 Volts to fuel shut-off solenoid under float bowl, when ignition is ON. Fuel shutoff solenoid moves freely and activates when key turned. Drained and replaced gas with new from the pump. Live in FL so mower is used weekly, all year. Spraying starter fluid in air intake, engine starts & runs for a few seconds. Oil level is mid way between min/max. Brake interlock undamaged (visually). And engine starts with starter fluid, while brake is pressed. No visibly disconnected wires/wire-plugs. I don't have flywheel puller or compression tester. So can’t do those tests without buying tools. What do you suggest next?

Can this question be switched to a "small engine" mechanic, rather than "auto"? I wasn't able to make that choice on the website
11/21/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Problem is at the carburetor. It runs with starting fluid, so all is well, except fuel is not going through the main jet. You mention the fuel solenoid, you don;t have access to an old Briggs carburetor bolt, to remove the solenoid and see if engine will run with just a bowl bolt?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I may have. I will try that 1st, then clean the carb.
Phone call session started
It is now 12/4/17. I hope that his message box is NOT related to a "phone call". I hope it is where I can ask for further information on my initial question on 11/21, because the suggestion did not work. In our last written chat, you said to remove the float bowl solenoid and replace it with a bolt, to confirm the solenoid was faulty. When I did that, the engine started. I pulled the tractor forward about 6', then backed up 6' leaving it in the same place. At that time, I did NOT drive the lawn tractor further. I thought the issue had been solved and I gave you a "bonus". The next day, when I went to acually use the same symptom existed. The engine turned over, started, ran for 1 second, and stalled. That's all I've been able to get it to do, since 11/24.What I tried since your last advice is: removed and cleaned the carb (Nikki’s Model # 799256, but goes by B&S part # 594601); blew compressed air through all the orifaces I saw; visually inspected (nothing looked clogged); disconnected the fuel line from the tank and poured a small amount of Techron down the tube into the carb, cursed a lot. The engine still starts but stalls within 2 seconds.
Any suggestions?

If the engine starts with starting fluid but does to continue to run, either fuel is not getting to the carburetor or the carburetor is not passing fluid. If you loosen the bowl bolt/or solenoid, does fuel continue to run out the loosened hole? If it does, problem has to be at carburetor, If it does not, fuel supply or the needle valve passage is pligged.

Curtis, I replaced the float needle valve and the float gaskets. The tractor now starts, but hesitates with a few small backfires.
It , ran about 40' with the blades engaged, then stalled and stopped. I did get it restarted and it ran another 20' more. Looking at the fuel supply, as you suggested, I noticed that fuel filter was not as full as before I ihad nserted a fuel shut-off in the fuel line (to avoid having to undo/re-do hose clamps). Becaus of an extra 4" in the hose length (for the shut off valve), the hose runs horizontal for about 8", rather than always downhill the entire hose length. Could that be preventing sufficient fuel?

Would not matter if the fuel pump is working. Do you have a good flow to the carburetor inlet line when cranking?