Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 17.5 &s engine 274826 hard starting has compression…

i have a 17.5 b&s...
i have a 17.5 b&s engine 274826 hard starting has compression preventing the engine from turning over i adjusted valves to ,003 tdc on compression stroke, read about compression release on intec engine pulled engine split case no release and no bump on cam. re assembled re set valves still no turn engine starts and runs good of i cover intake of carb to get it to turn over. what do you think? thanks, Pete
11/21/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

va​lves should be set at 0.005. If you cover the intake on carb, the engine turns over, but will not even turn over without it covered ?

No of course have to remove my hand to let it run

will it start without putting your hand over the intake

No because the compression is too high
The engine rotates till it gets to the compression stroke then stops

sounds like the valves are out of adjustment, which at 0.003 they would be too tight. are both the intake and exhaust valves moving if you rotate the engine by hand

valves are moving when turned by hand. If the valves are too tight wouldn’t it be easier to turn over?
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What is full model number? The number you have does not show. It will be example(###) ###-####B1 . This is not intex OHV engine? Single cyinder?

Ybsxs.5012vb

That is a family number, not the model, See example.

I see the question is still open???

3g777.0165e1. Code 0z6za is on the valve cover is this the one

31G777-0165-E1 is the model, it is an Intex engine. See parts list in the link below.

What is the compression? If it is over 100 psi, the internal compression release, which is on the back side of the camshaft gear is broken. This causes the engine to be too hard to crank, and the only repair is to replace the camshaft. !!!

I’ve read on the compression release on the cam and split the case it just a regular cam two lobes and no compression assembly.

Then it is missing, see link of the camshaft. This is your number.

793880

Ordered new cam will info in about a week. I received this mower from a questionable mechanic which would explain he slow turnover when starting

I think the new cam will take care of it. It has to have the weight!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician