Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an MVP Allstar opener. 1/2 hp. I have a fast blink…

Customer Question
I have an MVP...

I have an MVP Allstar opener. 1/2 hp. I have a fast blink red light. What does Reverse Current mean and how to fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Off and on for some months. Stopped working today

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Light flashes fast upon pressing the button

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

MVP by Allstar 1/2 hp s/n-###-##-####

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/21/2017
Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 8 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is ***** *****’d be happy to help you with your difficulties today but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

1-) The make ALLSTAR and model MVP 1/2 HORSE or number of the devices in question and do you have the manuals for them?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Like I wrote before, the red LED flashes fast when the run button is pressed. The light barrier is not the issue, I've done that before. The motor does not attempt to run. The drive is chain. I am not the original owner. I use the automotive programmable button that has worked for over a years time. I'm a packaging technician w/out much time so I'm capable.

what I would like to do for a start is erase the transmitters.....do a hard reset and then re program.......please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue......

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Did a hard reset of the drive. Removed and replaced batteries in transmitters. Erased and redid the wireless trans. Still a fast flashing red light. I believe the pic board is at fault. Troubleshooting guide in the manual is about worthless. I will return after Thanksgiving to continue. Likely cheaper to buy a new opener as PC boards are $80ish.

there is a possibility that this maybe just an adjustment but I can't do anything if you can't assist me by answering those very important questions ....................I am trying to save you money if I can......but I need you to help me ....help you....it will take less than 5 minutes............if it does come to the replacement then so be it but we can try we have nothing to lose

if it does come to the replacement then so be it but we can try because there is nothing to lose

thanks