Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a new 22kw generac generator and get a T1 battery…

I have a new...

I have a new 22kw generac generator and get a T1 battery charger disconnect on my generator screen

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a generac 22kw air cooled unit and it is new

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am trying to see what it requires but no plan for my electrician to do it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Should I have purchased the battery charger wire kit I see advertised?

11/21/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Which model transfer switch do you have installed?

generator generac 22k model G0070420 Serial(###) ###-####transfer switch model RXSW200A3 Serial(###) ###-####
I believe the T1 line should have a fused wire which my electrician did not connect. I am asking does this pairing require purchase of the battery charger wire in addition to the transfer switch and generator units? I do NOT plan to do the work just to advise the electrician and to insure all parts are available on his return

The T1 is not really a "purchase" item. It is just a piece of wire that is run from the T1 fuse in the transfer switch to the genset. This wire is normally carried in bulk by electricians. The reason is that not all transfer switches are mounted the same distance from the genset. I have seen TS's mounted literally 5 feet from the genset, and I have seen them well over 50 feet away.

I find it hard to believe that an installing electrician would not install the T1 fuse and wire. If that is the case, I believe I'd be looking for a new electrician.

I may have this wrong in my understanding So the fuse is integral to the transfere switch and the connection to the generator is just a wire between terminals
I can call him back and insure he just left it unconnected as I placed the battery a month after he did initial wiring
This means Ishould NOT have to have the kit
Generac - BATTERY CHARGER WIRE KIT - 0G92540SRV

Your transfer switch should already have T1 provisions built in.

You need to check to make sure, but no, you should not need that kit.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Thanks I will speak to the electrician as he is at the site tomorrow and I can sound intelligent if there are questions.

No problem. Just let me know if you need further help.