Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Onan 7000 generator that is surging. The

Customer Question
I have an Onan...

I have an Onan 7000 generator that is surging. The technicians are looking at it but I think they are having problems. Initially, I scheduled regular maintenance and they installed a new choke, air filter, and I think spark plug. When I ran it, it sounded 'uneven' which I think is a surge right from the start. How can I fix this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes. They have it now and they connected a different fuel tank to it for testing and that did not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, i am depending on them, but I think they are going to tell me I did something after I took it home friday, and I did not. It did the problem right away.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, they looked for adhesive and could not find any. I did not see the old parts, but they said they installed a choke, and spark plug, and to troubleshoot today they put a test carburetor in (they determined that did not change performance) and are supposed to put in a new spark plug to see if it was a faulty part. I don't get it because they said it was not surging when they did the maintenance. I needed to run it over the weekend (20 hours) and they wanted to attribute it to that, but I noticed the surging right away.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/21/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

I think a qg 7000
7000 gas generator
are you there?
helllllllllllllo
I paid so why do I not get an answer?

Sir, I can help with this, but you need to be patient.

I have several customers online, and I have to work all of them.

I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings. After a 13 hour day shift, I am tired and doing the best I can.

Also, when you opt me out, I am unable to respond at all, until I can contact a supervisor to unlock the question.

QG7000 is not a model number. I need to know the model number that is written on the data plate on the genset.