Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

What would you diagnose as the problem? Engine will turn in

either direction and then hit...
What would you diagnose as the problem? Engine will turn in either direction and then hit something, valve piston, etc. The intake valve moves as it should, the exhaust seems as if its bent, the rod does not move. The valve keeper has a crack but is still in place.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Unknown to either.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no thats it.
11/21/2017
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

If your rod does not move, then it is very likely broken.

Remove your spark plug and insert a screwdriver into your spark plug hole. Slowly rotate your flywheel as you feel to see if your piston moves up and down.

We can continue from here.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Rod is not broken, may be bent.. I removed it. Piston does move up and down. Intake valve moves as it should
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
piston keeper has a crack, but is still in place.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
valve keeper.
exhaust valve appears bent.

What brand is your engine?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
gn 190

Thanks for this information. Your exhaust valve likely caused your piston rod to bend.

If the valve guide in your cylinder head has dislodged, this can prevent your exhaust valve from closing completely, and striking your piston.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
which means a teardown and head removal for repair?

Yes, correct.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
okay. understood and thanks very much.

You may need to replace the head, but I would closely inspect it first.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician