Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Stihl FS36 trimmer. Trying to check why does not…

I have a Stihl...

I have a Stihl FS36 trimmer. Trying to check why does not start. I have spark. Cleaned carby real good. Carby is WT 1608. Want to check the needle valve works OK by blowing through a hose. Saw this test being done on U Tube for a Zama ... different set up. Can I check it same way? Connected a hose to inlet but cannot blow through when depressing metal lever that raises needle valve. How do I check needle valve is working right?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I have carby off. Stihl had fuel ... does not have a shut off valve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My Stihl dealer says no parts for this very old trimmer so just buy a new one. I have taken it apart, cleaned everything, all carby gaskets etc good. It is a WALBRO WT 1608.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly.

We can continue from here.

Done all that, by the way I am in Australia so no live phone. Happy to type.
do not want to call

No problem. The phone call is an option for customers who rather not type.

Are you saying that the carburetor cleaner will not cause your engine to start briefly?

Have not tried that ... will have to reassemble carby/trimmer to try. Do you just remove filter, open throttle and spray?
my initial question was how do I check needle valve is operating correctly?

Are you referring to the needle valve in your carburetor. If so, I can attach a video for you.

To check your needle valve, to see if it is working properly, you will need a pressure gauge.

Oh! OK. I guess I will just hope valve is working right as do not have a gauge. Will try the carby cleaner once I have reassembled. I assume if I cannot get it to start briefly then it must be a spark problem as compression is good. I have a 2nd hand ignition coil coming via ebay just in case.Another question ... the plate that covers the needle valve has a hole in it ... assume is a drain ... need to know positioning of plate re hole ... does it matter. Cannot find a picture online of a FS36 showing the plate/hole position. Does it matter?

The hole should face down after your carburetor has been installed. Also, your compression needs to be 100 psi or higher.

Thanks ... that makes sense. Will check compression is 100psi plus. Re carby cleaner to see if engine will start ... do I just remove filter, open throttle and spray into carby throat?

Yes, you are correct. Just spray a small burst directly into your carburetor. When you have an opportunity, take a look at the Wabro video in the link above.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Thanks for help. I think my trimmer may be too old to fix (10yrs at least) but will try a bit longer. Will sign off now and rate you. Link in email works so may come back.

Absolutely. Give it a try, before giving up. Let's hope you get your engine up and running again. Thanks for the positive rating.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician