Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a troy bilt tb130 w/gcv160 honda engine. I used old…

Customer Question
I have a troy...

I have a troy bilt tb130 w/gcv160 honda engine. I used old gas and gummed it up. I took to a fix-it shop and had it repaired. He put a carb kit on it and it worked once. I refueled, but unbeknownst to me, the gas I used had water in it

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

The mower is 3 yrs old, I believe. I had to use starter fluid before I took to be repaired. Now, even that doesn't start it. It sputters and stops

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The choke doesn't stay put. It slides over and shutsnoff the engine. The repair guy put a wood screw in the housing to block the choke from closing completely

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/20/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Have you loosened the fuel float bowl on the carburetor , to drain any water in the carburetor?

the tank was emptied and dry. I put new gas in it, and now it won't start at all, even with starting fluid

Have you removed the spark plug and checked for spark?

cleaned the plug w/carb cleaner. It looked new to begin with, very little residue on it

Was there spark at the plug? Was plug wet with fuel? If you remove spark plug and put fuel direct into the spark plug hole and re-install the spark plug, will engine start?

I haventbtried that
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago

Simple enough to do, and will quickly determine if it is a fule or spark problem. Use about a teaspoon of fuel.