Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Have a cub cadet 50 inch mower deck 2012 model. Started the

Customer Question
Have a cub cadet 50...
Have a cub cadet 50 inch mower deck 2012 model. Started the mower and at full throttle with PTO in-gauged the motor "coked" down and white smoke came out of the muffler. I shut pto off and reduced motor to idle and engine smoothed out but still sound just a little bit ruff. I let it warm for about 5 minutes and then it worked fine. However, next time i used the mower same thing happened and this time it would not stay running except with PTO off and engine at idle. Carburetor issue? Terry
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, fuel is new just got it last week and tried it in a push mower and I had no problems. Shut off valve is open
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can depending on how complicated and your recommendation
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Have not had any issues in the past. I did check the air filter area and noticed some liquid on the plastic part.
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Small Engine
11/20/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 20 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Is the oil level correct and not filled with gas in the oil? Have you removed the spark plugs and checked them for oil fouling and black deposits? You may have a spark plug that is fouled and needs to be replaced. It will start to fire, only after engine warms up.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician